Center for American Music
Welcome to the Center for American Music. Please take a moment to explore our site, which includes course listings in American music for fall 2018 and information about who we are and what we do. The Center for American Music is located in the College of Fine Arts, Butler School of Music at the University of Texas at Austin.
UT Austin Graduate Music Conference – Call for Proposals
2019 UT Austin Graduate Music Conference invites proposals from current graduate students that focus on music and culture of the Americas. This year’s keynote speaker is Dr. Ellie M. Hisama, Professor of Music, Music Theory, and Historical Musicology at Columbia University. More info here.
Jennifer Higdon – Composer In Residence at BSOM
American composer Jennifer Higdon visits Butler School of Music this week for a variety of concerts and workshops with student composers and ensembles. More in here
Introducing 2018-19 Postdoctoral Fellow, Dr. Eric Dienstfrey
The Center for American Music is proud to introduce 2018-19 Postdoctoral Fellow, Dr. Eric Dienstfrey. In addition to ongoing research and writing, Dr. Dienstfrey is teaching a graduate seminar course called “Music, Sound, Technology”. Click here for the full story and a brief Q&A.
View our calendar of upcoming concerts featuring music from across the Americas here
Listen: Check out recent releases on Longhorn Music.
A Selection of Courses in American Music
Highlights of Spring 2019 course offerings in American music:
- MUS 307.1: Music of African Americans— This course carries a cultural diversity flag.
- MUS 307: History of Film Music
- MUS 312C: Music and Culture— This course carries ethics, global cultures, and writing flags.
- MUS 307.2: History of Rock Music—This course carries a cultural diversity flag.
- MUS 307.3: Jazz Appreciation—This course carries a cultural diversity flag.
- MUS 228P: Jazz Composition
- MUS 228L: Jazz Theory II
- MUS 334: History of Mariachi Music —This course carries a global cultures flag.
- MUS 334.5: Music of African Diaspora— This course carries a global cultures flag.
- MUS 342: Afro Modernism, Black Popular Music —This course carries writing and cultural diversity flags.
- MUS 342: American Music —This course carries writing and cultural diversity flags.
- MUS 376J: Listening to Lynch —This course carries a writing flag.
- MUS 387L: History of Mariachi Music
- MUS 387L: Jazz Perspectives
- MUS 388S: Theories and the Soundtrack
- MUS 388K: Project in Jazz Composition
- MUS 388M 4: Current Trends in Music Theory