Center for American Music
Welcome to the Center for American Music. Please take a moment to explore our site, which includes course listings in American music for fall 2019 and information about who we are and what we do. The Center for American Music is located in the College of Fine Arts, Butler School of Music at the University of Texas at Austin.
13th Annual Black History Month Concert
On Saturday February 22nd, 2020, the UT Butler School of Music hosted the 13th annual Black History Month Concert in Bates Recital Hall, featuring performances by students from the Butler School of Music and the Huston Tillotson University School of Music. Full story here.
Society for Cinema Media Studies Conference 2019
Center for American Music board member and Assistant Professor of Musicology, Dr. Hannah Lewis, and CAM Post Doctoral Fellow, Dr. Eric Dienstfrey, recently delivered presentations at the The Society for Cinema Media Studies’s Annual Conference. The conference was held in Seattle, March 13-17 and featured an international lineup of scholars and artists. Their talks were titled: “Cinematic Expectations in the Live Television Musical” (Lewis), and, “Invisible by Design: Star Wars, the ISO, and the Adoption of Wide-Range Volume” (Dienstfrey). Full story here.
New Book by Prof. James Buhler: Theories of the Soundtrack
Dr. James Buhler, Professor of Music Theory and Director of the Center for American Music, has a new book published by Oxford University Press. Theories of the Soundtrack is a first of its kind comprehensive investigation of soundtrack theory. More info here
View our calendar of upcoming concerts featuring music from across the Americas here
A Selection of Courses in American Music
Highlights of Spring 2020 course offerings in American music:
- MUS 218J: Beginning Jazz Improvisation
- MUS 307.1: Music of African Americans— This course carries a cultural diversity flag.
- MUS 303M: Intro to Music in World Cultures— This course carries global cultures and writing flags.
- MUS 307.2: History of Rock Music—This course carries a cultural diversity flag.
- MUS 307.3: Jazz Appreciation—This course carries a cultural diversity flag.
- MUS 220P: Practicum in World Music Traditions
- MUS 228J: Intermediate Jazz Improvisation
- MUS 228L: Jazz Theory 2
- MUS 228P: Jazz Composition
- MUS 334: History of Mariachi Music —This course carries a global cultures and cultural diversity flags.
- MUS 343J: History of Jazz —This course carries a cultural diversity flag.
- MUS 284P: Practicum in World Music Traditions
- MUS 385R: Directed Research in Musicology
- MUS 387L: Music of Mexico/Borderlands
- MUS 387L: Jazz Ensemble Literature
- MUS 388K: Project in Jazz Composition
- MUS 388P: Jazz Pedagogy
- ENS 105C / 185C: Jazz Combos
- ENS 105E / 185E: Jazz Ensemble
- ENS 207J / 185J: Jazz Orchestra
- ENS 105M / 185M: Alt Improvisation Music Ensemble
- ENS 106C / 186C: Conjunto Ensemble
- ENS 106F / 186V: African American Vocal Ensemble
- ENS 106K / 186K: Hispanic Caribbean Ensemble
- ENS 106M / 186M: Mariachi Ensemble