Center for American Music
Welcome to the Center for American Music. Please take a moment to explore our site, which includes course listings in American music for spring 2019 and information about who we are and what we do. The Center for American Music is located in the College of Fine Arts, Butler School of Music at the University of Texas at Austin.
“Dark Times: Fabulation, Synchrony, and the Musical Moment in Media”
We are proud to present an upcoming talk by Dr. Amy Herzog (Professor of Media Studies, Queens College, CUNY)
Friday 2/22 @ 2pm. More info here
Upcoming Talk: Jaqueline Avila, “Sumbro’s Urban Soundtrack”
CAM is excited to present a talk with visiting scholar, Jaqueline Avila, Associate Professor of Musicology (The University of Tennessee): “Sumbro’s Urban Soundtrack: Music, Silence, and Nostalgia in Alonso Ruizpalacios’s 2014 Film, Güeros“.
Friday, Feb. 8. 3:30pm @ MRH 2.604
New Book by Prof. James Buhler: Theories of the Soundtrack
Dr. James Buhler, Professor of Music Theory and Director of the Center for American Music, has a new book published by Oxford University Press. Theories of the Soundtrack is a first of its kind comprehensive investigation of soundtrack theory. More info here
View our calendar of upcoming concerts featuring music from across the Americas here
A Selection of Courses in American Music
Highlights of Spring 2019 course offerings in American music:
- MUS 307.1: Music of African Americans— This course carries a cultural diversity flag.
- MUS 307: History of Film Music
- MUS 312C: Music and Culture— This course carries ethics, global cultures, and writing flags.
- MUS 307.2: History of Rock Music—This course carries a cultural diversity flag.
- MUS 307.3: Jazz Appreciation—This course carries a cultural diversity flag.
- MUS 228P: Jazz Composition
- MUS 228L: Jazz Theory II
- MUS 334: History of Mariachi Music —This course carries a global cultures flag.
- MUS 334.5: Music of African Diaspora— This course carries a global cultures flag.
- MUS 342: Afro Modernism, Black Popular Music —This course carries writing and cultural diversity flags.
- MUS 342: American Music —This course carries writing and cultural diversity flags.
- MUS 376J: Listening to Lynch —This course carries a writing flag.
- MUS 376J: Elvis in Hollywood —This course carries a writing flag.
- MUS 387L: History of Mariachi Music
- MUS 387L: Jazz Perspectives
- MUS 388S: Theories and the Soundtrack
- MUS 388K: Project in Jazz Composition
- MUS 388M 4: Current Trends in Music Theory