Center for American Music
Welcome to the website for the Center for American Music. Please take a moment to explore the site, which includes course listings in American music for Fall 2015 and information about who we are and what we do. The Center for American Music is located in the College of Fine Arts at the University of Texas at Austin.
What makes music scary? Listen to the Oxford University Press podcast, Oxford Comment, as host Sara Levine speaks with Center for American Music director Jim Buhler about music in horror films. The interview with Professor Buhler starts at 28:05.
Professor Buhler comments on Bond songs, in this article that appeared on the Braniac blog at the Boston Globe.
Voicing the Soundtrack
A conference in honor of David Neumeyer
15-16 April 2016
Check out recent releases on Longhorn Music.
A Selection of Courses in American Music Fall 2015
Highlights of Fall 2015 course offerings in American music:
- MUS 307.1: Music of African Americans—This course carries a cultural diversity flag.
- MUS 307.2: History of Rock—This course carries a cultural diversity flag.
- MUS 307.3: Jazz Appreciation—This course carries a cultural diversity flag.
- MUS 228G: Jazz Theory I
- MUS 334.2: Music of Latin America—This course carries a global cultures flag.
- MUS 337: Music and Film Sound—This course carries a writing flag.
- MUS 342: American Music—This course carries a cultural diversity flag.
- MUS 388S: Action Film and the Soundtrack