Center for American Music
Welcome to the Center for American Music. Please take a moment to explore the site, which includes course listings in American music for Fall 2017 and information about who we are and what we do. The Center for American Music is located in the College of Fine Arts at the University of Texas at Austin.
Upcoming Lecture: Dr. Raymond Knapp (UCLA): “Falsettos in the Shadow of Fiddler on the Roof: Reconsidering Jewish Identity on Broadway in the New Millennium“. More here.
Announcement: Postdoctoral Fellowship in American Music. The Center for American Music is in the process of hiring a two-year postdoctoral fellow in American music. Deadline: January 15, 2018. Full details here.
Introducing Dr. Bethany McLemore, Center for American Music Post-Doctoral Fellow! The Center for American Music is proud to introduce our new Post-Doctoral Fellow, Dr. Bethany McLemore. We recently sat down for a chat about her fascinating research and current work with CAM here at the University of Texas Butler School of Music. Read the full interview here.
Congratulations to CAM board member Charles Carson, one of this year’s winners of the Texas Ten awards for educators presented by Texas Exes!
“They feel silenced a lot of times when they come into a music classroom,” Carson says. “When they say, ‘I don’t know a lot about music but I know every Beyonce lyric,’ I say, ‘You know a lot about music!’ I find it’s not about having to build connections, but to let them strip it away and own it.”
Read the full interview at The Alcalde.
Dr Hannah Lewis takes time out of her busy book writing schedule to talk to us about her new research project, the Ernest Lehman collection at the Harry Ransom Center, upcoming events at UT, and why she is excited about the Center for American Music in this interview.
American Music Concerts
Friday, November 17
UT Jazz Orchestra concert. 7:30pm @ Bates Recital Hall. See link for details.
Friday, December 1
New Music Ensemble concert. 7:30pm @ Bates Recital Hall. See link for details.
Sunday, December 3
UT Wind Symphony concert. 7:30pm @ Bates Recital Hall. See link for details.
Monday, December 4
UT Symphony Band. 7:30pm @ Bates Recital Hall. See link for details.
Thursday, December 7
UT Jazz Ensemble concert. 7:30pm @ Bates Recital Hall. See link for details.
Friday, December 8
Guest Lecture: Raymond Knapp, author of The American Musical and the Performance of Personal Identity. 1pm @ Recital Studio MRH 2.608. See link for details.
Sunday, December 10
UT Wind Ensemble concert. 4pm @ Bates Recital Hall. See link for details.
Check out recent releases on Longhorn Music.
A Selection of Courses in American Music
Highlights of Fall 2017 course offerings in American music:
- MUS 218J: Beginning Jazz Improvisation
- MUS 307.1: Music of African Americans—This course carries a cultural diversity flag.
- MUS 307.2: History of Rock Music—This course carries a cultural diversity flag.
- MUS 307.3: Jazz Appreciation—This course carries a cultural diversity flag.
- MUS 303: American Musicals
- MUS 303: Intro to Music and Film Sound—This course carries a writing flag.
- MUS 228G: Jazz Theory I
- MUS 228K: Beginning Jazz Piano Techniques
- MUS 228P: Jazz Composition
- MUS 334.5: Music of African Diaspora—This course carries a global cultures flag.
- MUS 342: Music and the American City
- MUS 376G: US Music / Religious Identity —This course carries writing and cultural diversity flags.
- MUS 380: Music of African Diaspora
- MUS 387L: Jazz Ensemble Literature
- MUS 388S: Interpreting Popular Music