Center for American Music
Welcome to the website for the Center for American Music. Please take a moment to explore the site, which includes course listings in American music for Spring 2017 and information about who we are and what we do. The Center for American Music is located in the College of Fine Arts at the University of Texas at Austin.
Congratulations to CAM board member Charles Carson one of this year’s winners of the Texas Ten awards for educators presented by Texas Exes!
“They feel silenced a lot of times when they come into a music classroom,” Carson says. “When they say, ‘I don’t know a lot about music but I know every Beyonce lyric,’ I say, ‘You know a lot about music!’ I find it’s not about having to build connections, but to let them strip it away and own it.”
Read the full interview at The Alcalde.
Dr Hannah Lewis takes time out of her busy book writing schedule to talk to us about her new research project, the Ernest Lehman collection at the Harry Ransom Center, upcoming events at UT, and why she is excited about the Center for American Music in this interview.
American Music Concerts
Monday, April 10 – Friday, April 14
The Cohen New Works Festival, See link for more details
Thursday, April 27
Longhorn Jazz Band and Percussion Ensemble, 7:30pm, Bates Recital Hall
Friday, April 28
New Music Ensemble, 7:30pm, Bates Recital Hall Program & Tickets
Sunday, April 30
Wind Ensemble, 7:00pm, Bass Concert Hall Program & Tickets
Thursday, May 4
Jazz Ensemble, 7:30pm, Bates Recital Hall
Summer Concerts Coming Soon!
The Cohen New Works Festival
Showcase of new work created by students at UT Austin. Click here for more details.
Guest Lecture: Brian Kane
Hearing Double: Jazz and Ontology
27 February 2017, 4:30pm, Lecture Recital Hall
Check out recent releases on Longhorn Music.
A Selection of Courses in American Music
Highlights of Fall 2017 course offerings in American music:
- MUS 307.1: Music of African Americans—This course carries a cultural diversity flag.
- MUS 307.2: History of Rock—This course carries a cultural diversity flag.
- MUS 307.3: Jazz Appreciation—This course carries a cultural diversity flag.
- MUS 303: American Musicals
- MUS 303: Intro to Music and Film Sound—This course carries a writing flag.
- MUS 228G: Jazz Theory I
- MUS 228K: Beginning Jazz Piano Techniques
- MUS 228P: Jazz Composition
- MUS 334.5: Music of African Diaspora—This course carries a global cultures flag.
- MUS 380: Music of African Diaspora
- MUS 387L: Jazz Ensemble Literature
- MUS 388S: Interpreting Popular Music