Center for American Music
Welcome to the website for the Center for American Music. Please take a moment to explore the site, which includes course listings in American music for Spring 2017 and information about who we are and what we do. The Center for American Music is located in the College of Fine Arts at the University of Texas at Austin.
What makes music scary? Listen to the Oxford University Press podcast, Oxford Comment, as host Sara Levine speaks with Center for American Music director Jim Buhler about music in horror films. The interview with Professor Buhler starts at 28:05.
Professor Buhler comments on Bond songs, in this article that appeared on the Braniac blog at the Boston Globe.
American Music Concerts
New Music Ensemble
Wednesday, March 29, 7:30pm, Bates Recital Hall Program & Tickets
Friday, April 28, 7:30pm, Bates Recital Hall Program & Tickets
Longhorn Jazz Band and Percussion Ensemble
Wednesday, March 1, 7:30pm, Bates Recital Hall Program & Tickets
Thursday, April 27, 7:30pm, Bates Recital Hall
Thursday, March 2, 7:30pm, Bates Recital Hall
Thursday, May 4, 7:30pm, Bates Recital Hall
Friday, February 24, 7:30pm, Bates Recital Hall Program & Tickets
Jazz Faculty Concert
Tuesday, March 7, 7:30pm, Bates Recital Hall Program & Tickets
Sunday, February 26, 4:00pm, Bates Recital Hall Program & Tickets
Monday, April 3, 7:30pm, Bates Recital Hall Program & Tickets
Guest Lecture: Brian Kane
Hearing Double: Jazz and Ontology
27 February 2017, 4:30pm
North American Conference on Video Game Music
14-15 January 2017
Check out recent releases on Longhorn Music.
A Selection of Courses in American Music
Highlights of Spring 2017 course offerings in American music:
- MUS 307.1: Music of African Americans—This course carries a cultural diversity flag.
- MUS 307.2: History of Rock—This course carries a cultural diversity flag.
- MUS 307.3: Jazz Appreciation—This course carries a cultural diversity flag.
- MUS 307: History of Film Music
- MUS 307: Music, Politics and Protest—This course carries a global cultures flag and a cultural diversity flag.
- MUS 312C: Music and Culture—This course carries a global cultures and ethics flag, an ethics and leadership flag, and a writing flag.
- MUS 228L: Jazz Theory II
- MUS 334.5: Music of African Diaspora—This course carries a global cultures flag.
- MUS 342.5: Black Perspective in Jazz
- MUS 387L: Topics in Jazz